Welcome Taylor!

We’ve got a new fabulous graduate assistant working with us this semester and she’s joining the team just as we begin to diversifying our reach out to new schools and communities. We asked Taylor to introduce herself and tell us a little bit about her:

What is your background?

I graduated with a Bachelor in Arts degree from Franklin College (2016) where I majored in history with a minor in American studies. Before starting the MSLIS program at the University of Illinois, I taught English as a learned language to elementary and junior high school students in Kuji, Japan for two years. My experience working as a teacher influenced my decision to concentrate on youth services, international librarianship, and public policy while attending the iSchool.

What brought you to the iSchool?
I was drawn to the MSLIS program at the iSchool for the flexibility and customization of the master’s program. As someone who has a diverse range of interests, I thought that the courses and opportunities offered by the iSchool would best fit my scholarly goals.

What drew you to the App Authors project?
After working in a school environment for two years, I developed a passion for teaching for and learning with young people. The App Authors project provided the unique opportunity to not only facilitate digital skill building in youth but to collaborate with community partners in schools and public libraries.

What experience do you hope to get out of the project?
I hope to be able to not only improve my community engagement skills but to also help produce and disseminate comprehensive research about the project.

Tell us a little bit about yourself, something quirky or interesting.

I love hiking! My New Years resolution for this year is to try and visit as many national parks in the Midwest as I can.